If you’re looking to straighten your teeth with the help of Invisalign clear aligners rather than traditional braces, it is important to first ensure that you are a candidate. Continue reading to learn how to determine if you are a candidate for invisalign in San Jose, California.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a system of clear aligners that are designed to discreetly and efficiently straighten the teeth. The aligners themselves are thin, plastic trays that are molded in a direct likeness of your teeth and are easy to insert and remove.
After receiving your first set of aligners, every two weeks, you will return to your dentist to receive your next set, which are slightly altered to guide the teeth in the direction they need to shift. Each set of aligners is designed to focus on one specific area of the mouth in order to ensure that the alignment of that area is closely monitored and precisely completed. In most cases, the complete and precise alignment of the entire mouth usually takes about twelve months.
Some of the most notable features of Invisalign include:
- Invisible appearance
- No diet restrictions
- Easy removal and insertion
- Takes about a year rather than multiple years, as was the standard with traditional braces
- No damage to teeth or gums
How to Determine if You Are a Candidate
In most cases, most people are candidates for Invisalign. There are some exceptions to this, including:
- Those who smoke tobacco while wearing invisalign (they may face the risk of staining the trays, which will make them easily detectable)
- Children that are too young to understand how to care for their invisalign
- Individuals who choose not to follow their orthodontist’s directions or refuse to wear their aligners for at least 20 hours each day
- Elderly individuals or those who struggle with their manual dexterity who are unable to remove the aligners to ensure that the teeth are properly cleaned and cared for
- Younger individuals who are still experiencing growth in their jaw
- Individuals who have an under or overbite that must be corrected (this is more extensive orthodontic treatment that can not be corrected with invisalign)
EZ Dental is happy to offer Invisalign treatment in San Jose. Still have questions about Invisalign, or want our assistance in determining if you are a good candidate for Invisalign? To learn more about Invisalign and to schedule an appointment to begin your treatment in our San Jose dental office, don’t hesitate to give us a call at (408) 227-6000.